Adagio.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of Adagio.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Pete's health updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA AveD
Ensign
Ensign

aw

Member#: 977

AveD is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View AveD's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 am   Post subject: Pete's health updates Reply with quote

Our good friend and AFM member PeteC had extensive amputation surgery of his right leg on February 18th. This post will serve as a place to update his progress whenever news from him arrives. I'll copy & paste from those communications so we have his writings & voice.

Feb. 25: The doctors are caravaning in and the consensus is that I am progressing in the right direction. They have removed two of the three drains. Progress. This is a definite sign of recovery for that phase of the surgery. The pathology on margins were all clear and the best that could be hoped for.'

and then short follow up: They just took the last tube out of my arm. We're moving to the rehabilitation section.

Feb 26th: I have really lucked out! IT TURNS OUT that was a woman, who I helped with her dog out on the streets works here and gotten two nurses and a private room!

March 1st: Had to go back in. Internal bleeding. Just out. Going through the elongated recovery process again. It will be many weeks yet.

March 2: I am taking it slow and steady. Had a good rest in my bed of choice: here. They finally swapped it out for me at ICU. I did get some needed sleep and feel like I can pick up the cross again. Thanks for contacting me, again. Feel free to update everyone. P
Greece irincou VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 436

irincou is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View irincou's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you AveD,
Send our best wishes for his recovery once again!

Last edited by irincou on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA AtticusFinch
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 411

AtticusFinch is offline View user's profile Send private message View AtticusFinch's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ave, for creating this resource! Pete, I wish you all the best! Amazing how your dog-handling adventures gained you some perks there at the hospital! Very Happy
USA bonnie VIP (subscribed member)
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1629

bonnie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View bonnie's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete ~ we miss your wit & wisdom on AFM. No day goes by that you are not remembered & cheered on ~ bonnie
Ensign

aw

AveD is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View AveD's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

update from Pete, March 7th:

'I can tell you that in this cycle of ICU, Floor, Rehab: I am at the end of another Floor stay which has had as its highlight: two unpleasant catheter-related events. They could have been avoided if the Urologists were all on the same page and considering of all the data. It basically ended up with a lot of retained fluid and to a level high enough to very uncomfortable. Let's hope they learned their lesson as of last night.

As for realistic recovery expectations, I cannot see any prediction and especially with my dermal sensitivity at 6.25-12.5% on my remaining leg so far. A long road is THE ROAD I am on.

Sometime this week: I suspect I will be moved to Rehab again. We'll try it, again.

Miss you guys terribly.'
Greece irincou VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 436

irincou is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View irincou's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not let what seems like a vicious cycle turn you down Pete!
I wish there was a magic wand to fix all this in no time!!
Do your best and tell those doctors they better "do their math" well because we need you back in AFM ASAP!!!!
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 411

AtticusFinch is offline View user's profile Send private message View AtticusFinch's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We miss you, Pete! You WILL be back!
UK beachboy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 763

beachboy is offline View user's profile Send private message View beachboy's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck pete thinking off you
USA AveD
Ensign
Ensign

aw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

update from Pete, March 11:

This week has been one of pain thresholds, medications and the searching for a stable regimen that can carry me through rehab. No success, yet. We are still on the hospital floor. The wounds are healing. The good leg is coming back but ever so slowly. Feeling in it is at around 12%. It is not at a level that is functional, though. However, I do PT despite it to keep trying to get stronger.

I have weights that I use to also develop upper body strength as this is where my new source is. I hope to find my way to rehab soon and to those routines and techniques that will see me out of the hospital and home. No idea when that might happen, though. Not yet.

Very best to you all.

P
UK beachboy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 763

beachboy is offline View user's profile Send private message View beachboy's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

admire yoyur bravery pete
iceberg
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 994

iceberg is offline View user's profile Send private message View iceberg's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray for your healing
USA bonnie VIP (subscribed member)
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1629

bonnie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View bonnie's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pete ~ friend of all you meet & teacher of many dogs, me, et. al. ~ KEEP AT IT ~ we are all rooting for you & praying for you. ~ bonnie
Ensign

aw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete update, March 14:

POSSIBLE NEW DEVELOPMENT: Neurology has brainstormed and are proposing 3 options, two of which I remember. One is a nerve block and the other is a surgery to remove two specific nerves that might be contributing to the phantom pains. I will be in touch. Stitches are coming out. P
Netherlands Haino
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 124

Haino is offline View user's profile Send private message View Haino's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete ! Smile

Opera-buddy from the first Adagio-hours here , you really made me overwhelmed !
Wish you a good recovery in a surrounding that stimulates you into fine thoughts.

I also wish your wife and children and of course your dog a good time, while they are
waiting to embrace you again from nearby. Seeing your energetic smile again.

I happened to read a book also containing a lot about phantom-pains and -itches.
The writer is a successfull high level neuro-psychological researcher and trainer.
Discriptions and successfull methods to train them off. He discovered that not all effects,
like the itches, were caused by the damaged body-nerves though also by the corresponding
brainparts itself as well. In case of signal-absence they tend to search signals at
nearby brainparts. ( For example arm-phantoms while shaving the neck. )

Prof. Dr. Vilayanur Ramachandran, a famous Neuro-Psychologist living in San Diego California,
researched and wrote these results down, also his treatments, in easy readable sentences.
Sandra Blakeslee is a famous sience-reporter, awarded by the New York Times.
It contains about 400 pages in total.

" Phantoms in the brain" , by Prof. Dr. V.S. Ramachandran & Sandra Blakeslee.

Wish you a good and quick recovery , soon to get back into your fine familysurroundings.

See you Pete ! Smile

Haino.
USA AveD
Ensign
Ensign

aw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

update from Pete, Sat. March 19:

I am in Inpatient Rehabilitation. This is the last stop before getting released and being discharged. To be here I needed to get off all IV pain medicine. Now, I was on such for a good while leading up to this, with my phantom pain interfering. The Pain Docs did come with a combo that could that get get me through BUT it was very constipating and that was NO fun. Even now I cringe thinking about it. It was a challenge but Pain Doc and Neurology came up with an idea for me called a Nerve Block.

In this procedure, sympathtic nerve endings would be targeted having to do with the amputated leg and with these chemicals, the hope was for the pain to be changed or removed. They WERE changed (muted) and this has allowed us to lower the dosage of the pain meds and that helps with that other issue etc.

So, here, we are at the inroads of rehab and let me tell you: it's tough. I am at it but it's tough. Simple things are so hard. Basic things, so tough. That is where I am but I am at it. I am not giving up.

I will be in touch.

P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Adagio.FM Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: