Adagio.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of Adagio.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Symphonies/Orchestral Music on Youtube
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA weaponlordzero
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 33

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is part two of the prior post:

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.
-- Felix Mendelssohn
Austria bpewien
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 51

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bpewien's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice performance.

Another wonderful Debussy, and the best thing: not splitted! Very Happy

On this very good video the Northwestern University Symphony Orchestra performs
Claude Debussy's Nocturnes for Orchestra.

Nocturnes, was inspired by three paintings of James McNeill Whistler of the same titles. Just as Whistler was a proponent of color as the focal point of his paintings, so too do Debussy's works make use of colorful timbres.

The work contains 3 movements:

I. Nuages - II. Fêtes - III. Sirènes (with womens choir!)

A beautiful work far too little performed in todays concerts

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bpewien's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
Ein Deutsches Requiem, Op. 45 (A German Requiem)

From Wikipedia:
Ein deutsches Requiem is sacred but non-liturgical.
It comprises seven movements, which together last 70-80 minutes, making Ein deutsches Requiem Brahms's longest composition.

Brahms's mother died in February 1865, a loss that painfully grieved him and that may well have inspired Ein deutsches Requiem. Brahms's lingering feelings over Robert Schumann's death in July 1856 may also have been a motivation, though his reticence about such matters makes this uncertain.

Brahms assembled the libretto to Ein deutsches Requiem himself. In contrast to the traditional Roman Catholic requiem mass, which employs a standardized text in Latin, Ein deutsches Requiem derives its text from Martin Luther's German Bible translation.

Brahms's first known use of the title A German Requiem was in an 1865 letter to Clara Schumann in which he wrote that he intended for the piece to be "a sort of German Requiem".

Brahms was quite moved when he found out years later that Robert Schumann had planned a work of the same name.
German refers primarily to the language rather than the intended audience.
Brahms told Karl Martin Reinthaler, director of music at the Bremen cathedral, that he would have gladly called the work A Human Requiem.

Although the Requiem Mass in the Roman Catholic liturgy begins with prayers for the dead ("Grant them eternal rest, O Lord"), Ein deutsches Requiem emphasizes comforting the living, beginning with the text "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." A comparable sacred, humanist worldview persists through the work.

In fact, Brahms purposefully omitted Christian dogma.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Brahms Requiem is one of the most beautiful works written for choir & orchestra all time.
Regrettably I've never had the chance to perform it myself so far. Sad
Nevertheless I hope you enjoy these vids, the german Requiem is in Adagio's playlist as well! Click here!

The performers of this version, recorded in the Wiener Musikverein (my 2nd home Wink) are:

Baritone - Bryn Terfel
Soprano - Barbara Bonney
Conductor - Claudio Abbado

Berliner Philharmoniker
Swedish Radio Choir
Eric Ericson Chamber Choir

I. Selig sind, die da Leid tragen (Blessed are they that mourn)

II. Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras (For all flesh is as grass)

III. Herr, lehre doch mich (Lord, make me to know mine end)

IV. Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (How lovely is thy dwelling place)

V. Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit (And ye now therefore have sorrow)

VI. Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt (For here have we no lasting home)

VII. Selig sind die Toten (Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord)

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alban Berg (1885-1935)
Violin Concerto"To the memory of an angel"

About the piece:

The piece stemmed from a commission from the violinist Louis Krasner.
When he first received the commission, Berg was working on his opera Lulu, and he did not begin work on the concerto for some months.
The event which spurred him into writing was the death of Manon Gropius, the daughter of Alma Mahler (once Gustav Mahler's wife) and Walter Gropius.
Berg set Lulu to one side to write the concerto, which he dedicated "To the memory of an angel".

Berg worked on the piece very quickly, completing it within a few months, nevertheless it is thought that his working on the concerto was largely responsible for his failing to complete Lulu before his death on December 24, 1935 (the violin concerto was the last work that Berg completed).
The work was premiered after the composer's death, with Krasner playing the solo part, on April 19, 1936, in Palau de la Música Catalana, Barcelona.

The concerto is structured in two movements, each further divided into two sections.
The first movement begins with an Andante in classical sonata form, followed by the Allegretto, a dance-like section.
The second movement starts with an Allegro largely based on a single recurring rhythmic cell; this section has been described as cadenza-like, with very difficult passages in the solo part.

The orchestration becomes rather violent at its climax (which is literally marked in the score as "High point of the Allegro"); the fourth and final section, marked Adagio, is in a much calmer mood. The first two sections are meant to represent life, the last two death and transfiguration.

Like a number of other works by Berg, the piece combines the twelve tone technique, typical of serialistic music learned from his teacher Arnold Schoenberg with passages written in a freer, more tonal style. The score integrates serialism and tonality in a remarkable fashion. Here is Berg's tone row:

G, Bb, D, F#, A, C, E, G#, B, C#, Eb, F

Like all tone rows, this contains all twelve notes of the chromatic scale.

However, there is a strong tonal undercurrent: the first three notes of the row make up a G minor triad; notes three to five are a D major triad; notes five to seven are an A minor triad; notes seven to nine are an E major triad; and the last four notes together make up part of a whole tone scale.
The roots of the the four triads correspond to the open strings of the violin, which is highlighted in the opening passage of the piece. The resulting triads are thus fifth-related and form a cadence, which we hear directly before the row is played by the violin for the first time, in the way shown above (albeit with shorter values).

The last four notes of the row, ascending whole tones, are also the first four notes of the chorale melody, Es ist genug (It Is Enough). Berg quotes this chorale directly in the last movement of the piece, where the harmonisation by Johann Sebastian Bach is heard in the clarinets.
There is another directly quoted tonal passage in the work in the form of a Carinthian folk song in the second section of the first movement, which returns briefly before the coda in the second movement. This is perhaps the only section which does not derive its materials from the row. It is a musical portrait of Manon Gropius, depicting her as a carefree, young girl.

The use of a programme and of an often tonal idiom differentiates this work from most of the output by the composers of the Second Viennese School.

About the video:

Dutch violinist Frederieke Saeijs won 1st prize in the 2005 Long-Thibaud Competition! Here she performs Alban Berg's Violin Concerto at the prize winners gala concert in Paris Théâtre du Châtelet, October 2005, with the Orchestre National de France, conducted by Jonathan Darlington.

Last edited by bpewien on Wed May 14, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA weaponlordzero
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, she is really good!!
Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.
-- Felix Mendelssohn
Austria bpewien
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975)
Symphony Nr.10
2nd movement: Allegro

recorded at the BBC Proms 2007: Prom 48
Royal Albert Hall - August 19, 2007

performed by the
Simón Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela
Gustavo Dudamel, conductor

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGH!!! I can't get it to work here or on youtube!! :\
-- Felix Mendelssohn
Austria bpewien
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor Stravinksy (1882 - 1971)
Le Sacre du Printemps (1913)

Pierre Boulez conducts the London Symphony Orchestra:

Last edited by bpewien on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Austria bpewien
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Choral from Cantata No.147 by Johann Sebastian Bach,
conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

Jesus bleibet meine Freude,
Meines Herzens Trost und Saft,
Jesus wehret allem Leide,
Er ist meines Lebens Kraft,
Meiner Augen Lust und Sonne,
Meiner Seele Schatz und Wonne;
Darum lass ich Jesum nicht
Aus dem Herzen und Gesicht.

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not an orchestral version, but still it's the 1st movement of Gustav Mahler's (1860-1911) 5th symphony.
In November 9th, 1905 he played it on a welte-mignon piano roll, so basically it's an original recording of Mahler himself performing.

And for comparison, the 1st movement "Trauermarsch" in the original orchestral version: performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Christoph Eschenbach.

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here's an alternate version of Mahler's 1st movement of the 5th Symphony, this time performed by the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, conducted by Claudio Abbado.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!! Mahler is one of my faves.
-- Felix Mendelssohn
Austria bpewien
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking with Mahler:
The 6th (and last) movement of his Symphony Nr.3!
Maybe I'll post the rest of the symphony if I find good videos. But for now please enjoy the wonderful ending of this big orchestral piece.

Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
Symphony Nr.3, VI. Adagio

Part I

Part II

Part III

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be directly a symphony, but since this is the orchestral thread, I thought I may put it here Smile

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton Bruckner (1824-1896)
Symphony Nr.7 - II. Adagio

The late Sergiu Celibidache conducts the 2nd movement of Bruckners 7th Symphony, which was composed as an hommage to Richard Wagner after he died (Wagner, not Bruckner Razz) The orchestration includes the so called Wagnertubes.

The Munich Philharmonics are performing:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Adagio.FM Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: